Saturday, May 29, 2010

Face Lift

While Carl was in Malta, I decided that I wanted to surprise him with new cabinets. Unfortunately, those cost money (who new?) so I took on a little project. I only had 5 full days, which means only nap time and nights after Ben went down, so I knew I had to act fast. I took off the hinges and handles, then with the help of my brother Seth, I cleaned and stripped the cupboard fronts. After those dried, I stained 24 cupboard fronts, 5 drawers, and then the actual cabinets in the kitchen. On Saturday, once everything had dried, I put everything back together, and put on brand new handles. It took quite a bit of work, and my kitchen and garage were a huge mess in the process, but I'm so glad I was able to do it. Carl was thrilled with his surprise. As soon as he walked in the kitchen he said "Oh my gosh!" Yay. I love surprises. We've been wanting to do it since we moved in, and now it's done! What do you think?

Carl took the camera to Malta, so I wasn't able to take a lot of before pictures, but I did find this one. Sorry I had to be in it.


And after. Now they are shiny, smooth and have handles that are not from 1976. Click on the pics to notice the handle difference, that's my favorite part.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Very nice! I love the handles. Good job, Deb.

cari said...

They look awesome.

tmiller said...

Wow Deb! You are brave I don't know if I would have been able to do that! Can't wait to see it in person! :)